Walker, George Raymond

Walker, George Raymond

First  |  Previous 15  |   |  Last

Blacksmith's Bellows

Blacksmith's Bellows

Description:

The leather of the bellows has hardened and deteriorated through the many years since this artifact was part of the blacksmith's equipment at Port Pemberton. It seems to date from the late 1850's or the 1860's. [sic] S 17/38 [,] from William Spetch who said it had been brought up from Port Pemberton. [Updated register card entry]: In September 2012, May Walker (nee Taylor) said she remembered a these same bellows hanging in Axel Johnson's blacksmith shop that was located next to the PX Garage owned by her father R.H.E. Taylor. She is married to Bob Walker, George's brother, and asked Bob about the bellows. Bob remembers that Axel sold his shop to Philip and June Perkins in the early 1970's, and they moved it to their land to use as a garage. Bob thinks that George acquired all the blacksmith equipment from this shop via Philip Perkins. Based on this new evidence it is unlikely the bellows are from the gold rush era.

Date of Object:

ca. 1850-60; ca. 1914-1940

Accession #:

983.27.32

More Info:

View Full Record

Bridle with Blinders

Bridle with Blinders

Description:

Walker found this bridle with other equipment on the land he bought in the 1940's from A.W. Spetch. The owner previous to A.W. Spetch was his father Samuel who acquired the land possibly as early as 1907, not long after he arrived from England with his family, bringing among other items of equipment, Horse harness. Horses were of great importance in pre-railway days. This bridle dates back many years.

Date of Object:

ca. 1910

Accession #:

983.27.29

More Info:

View Full Record

Bullet Mold

Bullet Mold

Description:

Found at Port Pemberton site. Like many items found by Walker & Reid, thought to date from the period of the Gold Rush traffic through this district. The steel mold is rusted and has a crack in one of the wooden handles. Apparently a projection possibly similar to that on the right is missing on the left. After further research, it is believed that this is a "Winchester" bullet mold for a rifle. The handles are walnut, and the metal cast is iron. The maker's mark is no longer visible. Research indicates that it is from 1870's-1880's. The mold is still in perfect condition, grooves still intact.

Date of Object:

ca. 1870-1880

Accession #:

983.27.08

More Info:

View Full Record

Butter knife

Butter knife

Description:

Walker & Vera Reid found this knife with a metal detector and dug it up. Having been buried at Port Pemberton whose heyday lasted only until about 1863, probably the dates from the period of the Gold Rush. No inscription is visible. The item is bent, scratched, and rusted. It was cleaned after accession with Haggerty's silver polish. After further research, we were able to determine the makers mark based on the pattern on the fork. The pattern is called "Lido 1938", and was made by Made by WM. A. Rogers Sectional Oneida Ltd. The material is silver plate.

Date of Object:

1938

Accession #:

983.27.05

More Info:

View Full Record

Clay Pipe Bowl

Clay Pipe Bowl

Description:

This clay pipe bowl was dug up at the site of the one time 29 Mile House. It was thought to be the bowl of an opium pipe.

Date of Object:

ca. 1860

Accession #:

983.27.09

More Info:

View Full Record

Counter Scale

Counter Scale

Description:

The scale has a single brass beam marked with a double row of figures, the upper one indicating the scoop weight and the lower one the platform weight. Base and post are rusted. On one side of the beam is this inscription: "Stewart Miln- Ltd. Hamilton Ont." on the other side are what appear to be "cap 840 no 629"? One of the four prongs to support the scoop is missing as is the scoop. Eaton's 1901 catalogue, p 187 has a similar scale priced at $5.00. In march 1952 McLennan, McFeely & Prior showed a similar scale priced at 48.70 and 45.95. Walker found the scale in an old house foundation at the Port Pemberton Site.

Date of Object:

ca. 1910-1930

Accession #:

983.27.21

More Info:

View Full Record

Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw

Description:

See comments for items 983.27.26 and 983. 27.27. This saw too, is rusted. The fact that its teeth are uniform and cut in both directions suggests great age. Some rust has been removed.

Date of Object:

ca. 1860

Accession #:

983.27.28

More Info:

View Full Record

Curry Comb

Curry Comb

Description:

The curry comb consists of four connected double blades, each is serrated. Each of the double blades forms a small trough of rusted steel, A rake of course teeth flares out beyond the blades. Blades and rake are at right angles to the wooden handle, which has a staple for a hanger. What seems to be a trade mark is " Hercules 50". Walker found the curry comb on the farm he bought from A.W. Spetch and used it on his logging team.

Date of Object:

ca. 1900

Accession #:

983.27.25

More Info:

View Full Record

Double-Bitted Axe

Double-Bitted Axe

Description:

The wooden handle of the axe shows considerable wear and, probably, weathering. The blade is rusted. Walker found this axe on the north side of the Port Pemberton site.

Date of Object:

ca. 1860

Accession #:

983.27.36

More Info:

View Full Record

Fork

Fork

Description:

This silver fork is worn on the back and has a spots of discolouration on the front. On it are the words "Simeon L. & Geo. H Rogers Co. Al + ONE IDA Ltd." About 1970, G. Walker & V. Reid using a metal detector, found it at Port Pemberton and dug it up. Previously we believed it may date from the Gold Rush to the Fraser and beyond, however after further research we discovered the Simeon L. and Geo. H Rogers Co. came into being circa 1900. Further research concluded the pattern of the fork is "Pendant 1941". The material is either silver plate or sterling silver.

Date of Object:

1941

Accession #:

983.27.02

More Info:

View Full Record

Set of Hames

Set of Hames

Description:

The two all-metal hames lack the leather strap that once joined them at the top. Shaped to fit a horse collar, they have a slight double curve. Mr. Walker says that probably men of the Spetch family used them before A. W. Spetch sold to him. See p. 86, Pemberton: History of a Settlement.

Date of Object:

ca. 1908

Accession #:

983.27.31ab

More Info:

View Full Record

Hand Saw

Hand Saw

Description:

This rusted saw, Walker and Reid located and dug up at Port Pemberton. Its age can only be estimated. Does it belong to the late 1850's or 1860's period of the Gold Rush, when Port Pemberton did have not only a fluctuating, transient population but also men who established stopping places, at least one Store & blacksmith shop? They built barns for mules and oxen and cabins for muleteers and boatmen. How long some lived on at the Port after traffic to the north shifted to the Fraser Canyon route seems impossible to know. Oil was applied to the saw to remove some of the rust. On the cracked wooden handle is carved " R".

Date of Object:

ca. 1850-60

Accession #:

983.27.26

More Info:

View Full Record

Horse Collar

Horse Collar

Description:

"This leather collar would fit a small horse. Condition is fair. G . Walker found it on the farm he bought from A.W. Spetch, the farm owned previously by Samuel Spetch. See Pemberton: History of a Settlement, p86."

Date of Object:

ca. 1908

Accession #:

983.27.30

More Info:

View Full Record

Horse Halter

Horse Halter

Description:

This is a horse halter. It is made of leather cut and hooked together with rings of iron. These items were ignored until 1986 since Walker brought them in 1983. Condition: fair but very worn.

Date of Object:

ca. 1940

Accession #:

986.07.01

More Info:

View Full Record

Horse Halter

Horse Halter

Description:

This is a horses halter. It is made of leather cut and hooked together. There are several strands connected so to fit around a horses head. These were ignored in 1983 when Walker donated many items.

Date of Object:

ca. 1940

Accession #:

986.07.02

More Info:

View Full Record

First  |  Previous 15  |   |  Last