Our Museum & Archives SocietyShare
Become a Member
Museum memberships ensure the long term sustainability to the museum society and the history it preserves. Membership is $15 for an Individual and $20 for a family. Your membership ensures you will receive regular news from the museum regarding upcoming events and programs and special projects. To become a member fill out the form and mail to us.
Keeping a Rich History Alive
The Pemberton Museum collects, preserves and displays artifacts connected with the human history of Pemberton and District.
The displays feature:
The self-sufficiency of the Lillooet [Stl'atl'imx] people before contact with people making their way to the gold fields, the coming of people attracted by gold on the Fraser and some of the physical changes they created in the District; and the lives of the settlers and later residents.
Life moved slowly in the area as the connection to the outside world was by pack train. The railroad did not arrive until 1914. Electrical power was not available until 1951 and the highway was not open until 1967.
The Pemberton Pioneer Women, a committee of the Women's Institute, started collecting examples of life in the area and made the first moves to found a museum which would house the collections and tell the story of the early days.
A piece of land was made available in the Village of Pemberton and the first museum opened in 1982. As the museum grew and more artifacts were contributed, a larger site was obtained from BC Rail. This is the current location.
The official move to the new site started in 1992 and buildings to house the growing displays continue on an ongoing basis. The museum is run by volunteers and a curator and is open from June to September.
The Collecting District is defined geographically as: those areas drained by waters entering the north end of Harrison Lake and those areas drained by waters entering Anderson Lake.
Our Collecting Policy
I. Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the museum at Pemberton is to collect, preserve and display artifacts which illustrate themes connected with the human history of Pemberton and district. These artifacts should have a long lasting association with the district. (Until the society has expanded and appropriate facilities for artifact storage, the museum society reserves the right to accept only those materials which can be stored and conserved (adequately).
Subject to revision, the themes illustrated will be three, with major emphasis on the third (C ). They will be:
A. The complete self-sufficiency of the Lillooet [Stl'atl'imx] people before contact with people making their way to the gold fields of the Fraser and beyond.
B. The coming of people attracted by gold on the Fraser and some of the physical changes they created in the district, principally in the period 1858-1863.
C. Lives of Settlers and later residents
1. Before the railway - up to 1914
2. After the railway - up to the present
Theme "C" has sub-themes in both 1 and 2;
i) modes of travel and transport
iii) making a living
iv) services and institutions established
v) flooding and how it was combated
II. Collection Policy
A. The items collected must conform to the foregoing statement of purpose of the museum, but when an artifact once common to the district is needed for display and is no longer available locally, we may then go outside our area to find it.
B. We will add to the collection by means of gifts or any transaction by which title passes to the museum. We will accept loans for only a specific exhibit, and then for only a specified time. Insurance on loaned items will be the responsibility of the owners.
C. When the museum's limited storage space is filled, we will look elsewhere for acceptable alternative storage for donated items. Until the society has expanded and has appropriate facilities for artifact storage, the museum society reserves the right to accept only those materials which can be stored and conserved (adequately).
D. We will review this policy at regular intervals.
Total Volume: TBD approx: 25 meters
Inclusive Dates: 1846 to present
Pre-dominant Dates: 1914 - 1958
The holdings consist of both public and private records generated by residents and organizations of Pemberton and District. Holdings include personal records of families and individuals in the community as well as the records of organizations and businesses that reflect the social, political and economic life of Pemberton and District. The collecting district is defined as those areas drained by waters entering the north end of Harrison Lake and those areas drained by waters entering Anderson Lake
References are made to surrounding areas such as: Pemberton (Agerton, Port Pemberton), Port Douglas, 29-Mile, Poole Creek, Mt. Currie (Creekside), Birken, D'arcy, Whistler (Alta Lake), and Lillooet (Cayoosh). Holdings include: photographs; manuscript collection (letters, memoirs, minutes, manuals, project studies and proposals); oral histories; VHS videos; posters; postcards; information files (contain copies of brochures, articles, essays, clippings, and ephemera); pamphlets; local newspapers and maps.
The Pemberton Museum supports research and archival reproductions on a year round basis. Simply contact us to set up an appointment. Please see our research and reproduction terms and fees and and if you have any questions please speak to the Curator, Niki Madigan.
Pemberton & District Museum & Archives Society
Board of Directors
President: Brenda McLeod
Vice President: Judy McNolty
Treasurer: Florence Bilenduke
Secretary: Grace Chadsey
Directors: Betty Mercer, Monique Midgley, Rolande Midgley, Carmen Praine, Allison Macdonald, Carmen Moore Lefevre
Curator and Executive Director
The Society meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Museum.
Pemberton Museum Master Plan to 2020
The Museum Society has prepared an updated master plan using feedback from members and partners. Executive Summary Report.
For more information about the museum master plan or to provide feedback please contact us.
Pemberton's longest running Community Project
The Pemberton Museum is Pemberton's longest running community project and is now in its 35th year of summer operations. To see a slide show commemorating the history of the museum and how it came to be, at 7455 Prospect Street, please click here.